Mayor Ron Toyota was born and raised in Creston and graduated from Prince Charles Secondary School in 1965. He operated Taks Home Furnishers for 30 years living in Cranbrook, with a branch store in Creston as well as Golden, Fernie, Castlegar and Grand Forks.
Mayor Toyota has been active with many community groups, including :
- President of the Creston Valley Rotary Club (2007-2008)
- President of the Creston Valley Regional Airport Society (2007-2008)
- Chairman of the College of The Rockies (2008-2009)
- President of the Cranbrook Golf Club (1987-1990)
- Director of Administration, BC Summer Games (Cranbrook 1986)
- Campaign Chairman for the Cranbrook United Way (1983-1985)
Ron Toyota was elected in December 2008 and is serving his 3rd term as Mayor.
- He is the appointed Director on the RDCK Board representing the Town of Creston.
- He is currently a trustee on the MFA-BC (Municipal Finance Authority).
- He is a member of the UBCM LG CMC (Union of British Columbia, Local Government, Contract Management Committee) serving on the “policing oversight” committee.
Ron is married to Judy (Kranabetter), they live at Sanca and raised 3 children and have 5 grandchildren (ages 8 to 21).
Ron and Judy enjoy curling, golf, visiting their family and living on Kootenay Lake.